Friday, June 3, 2011

Rucker Movie Theater

Date nights are always a good idea. Most girls like the idea of getting dressed up for the evening and going out to do something. For me, this meant I showered, put on a bra and actually put on some make-up. :)

Tonight my hubby took me on a date.  First we stopped by the Allen Heights Club House for their summer pool party for dinner and to enter in for some door prizes. We didn't really have time to cook dinner before the movie started, so we opted for "free food" advertised on the neighborhood newsletter.

We didn't really stay for the "bash", but they had lots of little games for kids. Crafts and carnival type stuff. They also had little handouts, sunscreen, pens and chap-stick--things like that. Of course the pool was open, and that seemed to be the main event (since it was like 800 degrees out).

Hubs and I got a couple dogs and a hamburger, some chips and some capri sun's and that was dinner. We didn't really take the time to meet anyone, but it seemed to be a nice gathering if that was your goal. However, I will say it was geared mostly towards those with families.

Next we went to see a movie on post. We were pretty excited to see if it was a good deal or not. Movies in Utah were getting close to $20 for the two of us to go. In New York, 5 years ago when I lived there, it was about $22 for two people to go to the movies.

On post they have one movie theater and it shows one movie at a time. They change the movie often, sometimes daily. They also change what type of movie they have. For example some of the movies that have played in the past week or so we've been here have been: "Scream 4", "Source Code", "Transformers  3" (I think), and tonight was "Rio".

We got to the movie theater just before it was suppose to start and there was a line out the door. We were nervous at first because we had no clue what to expect. (Does it sell out?) Once we were in line, we realized the cashier is actually at the door (explaining the line out the door) and you pay for your tickets to the person who is taking the tickets, in fact I'm pretty sure there weren't any tickets at all. Cash or Check only. No credit cards.

Good news were the prices:

Adults (which include those 12 years and older): $4.50
Children (4-11): $2.50
Children 3 and under are free.

Hubby and myself: a total of $9.00
He did have to show his Military ID at the door, but I didn't. I am assuming then, that the movies are for guests as well.

Because of the nature of the film, there were a bunch of families there. Why not? It's a great, inexpensive way to take your family out. I didn't find the children distracting from the movie at all, but I think it's funny/cute when kids comment on the movie.

I decided I wanted some chocolate and hubby never argues with chocolate, so we got in the even longer line for the snacks. This was my one complaint of the night. The line took FOREVER! They, also, only have one cashier and she took her sweet time ringing up everyone. However, we were still in our seats by the time the movie actually started (we missed the previews though).

The actual movie theater was nice. Old, but nice. It had a huge screen and it seemed to be one of those theaters where there really isn't a bad seat. We sat on the end on the right hand section. So we were still pretty central, I thought our seats were great.  The seats themselves were actually pretty comfortable, I wasn't expecting that. However, Hubby was disappointed that the armrests didn't move.

The movie "Rio" itself, we thought was OK. There were no spectacular moments, no memorable characters. In fact the movie was over all a solid "C". The music was ok, the storyline had great potential, (so did the music for that matter--who doesn't like salsa?) but the writing just wasn't up to par. I think it was one of those movies that they show all the good moments in the previews. Sad.

We parked on the North side (if I have my directions straight), and we just exited the theater straight into the parking lot. Parking was easy and convenient.

The movie started at 7:00pm (19:00), which was great for us, but might be a little late for children who have early bed-times. That would be up to parents.

My review of the night: Showering was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment